国际志愿者者网络,义工旅行,国际义工

马上注册,享受更多特权与福利。

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有帐号?立即注册

x
(这么说你想通过做义工的方式帮助尼泊尔…)
想去尼泊尔做义工?一定要谨慎的选择
如果说旅游业是尼泊尔盈利最高的行业,那么义工和非政府组织(NGO)一定是紧随其后的第二个。当然了,它们通常与旅游业紧密联系,有时甚至不幸地被合并为同一行业。
他们在帮助别人啊,怎么会有人说他们不好呢?
那些披着志愿外表实则是在欺骗义工的活动花样繁多,包括:到尼泊尔支教 – 援助孤儿 – 医学实习 – 修道院义工 – 家庭住宿 – 医疗志愿者 – 向佛教僧侣支教 – 佛教徒修行 – 尼泊尔志愿活动 – 帮助尼泊尔孤儿 – 教授英语 – 一生只有一次机会的尼泊尔志愿活动 – 通过志愿帮助尼泊尔 – 等等等等,不胜枚举。
最让人吃惊的是这些职位是有付费的。也就是说你要付钱才能去做志愿者。
付费志愿者,这是一个正在尼泊尔蓬勃发展的,十分赚钱的产业。
尼泊尔志愿活动背景知识:
根本原因:尼泊尔是一个发展中国家,同时也是一个世界著名的旅游目的地;这对实现真正的可持续发展来说是一对不那么容易调和的矛盾。
尼泊尔有许多社会问题亟待解决,但是从不缺致力于解决这些问题的志愿者,也就不缺那些利用志愿者好心的人。
为了来尼泊尔(其他地方也适用)做“志愿者”,有人要花上上千美元或是欧元。
不过另一方面,也有“别有用心”的志愿者们。比如在简历上重重地写上一笔“海外志愿活动”。在尼泊尔的冒险看起来不错。但遗憾的是,他们通常不算合格的志愿者,对当地的帮助不过是增加了名目繁多的冒名组织赚钱的机会。
仅仅带着一颗善良的心去做志愿者不是解决问题的答案
我从未自己花钱去做志愿者,也不打算这样做。我做过有偿志愿者,也在一个国际发展组织工作过。我见过世界上各式各样以帮助有需要的人为己任的志愿者,非政府组织和发展机构。
不幸地是,在尼泊尔,大多数都不够格。
更可怕的是,那些志愿者觉得自己付了钱,“做了自己能做的”,帮到了别人。
然而,可悲的现实情况则是,他们做了能为自己做的是,有了让自我感觉良好的资本,回去之后可以大讲特讲的冒险故事。
“收拾行李到有需要的地方去帮忙”带来的坏处比好处还多,这个道理很难让人明白。可是俗话说“授人以鱼不如授人以渔”。
可是对那些带着满腔热情的人来说,这是人类情感和需求的雷区。
在尼泊尔,许多好心人就这样随便地被非政府组织和不那么透明的社会标准利用了。
许多志愿者一到尼泊尔就被这里震惊了:孩子们衣不遮体,食不果腹。于是他们带来了新衣服,亲手给孩子们洗澡,告诉当地义工什么是“均衡营养”。
这些志愿者们通过这些行为获得良好的自我感觉 – 谁能横加指责他们呢?
我们还没算那些蜂拥而至的大学生们,来这里的目的就是为了让简历显得更加丰富,仿佛自己品格“高尚”。
所以当我告诉你有些组织甚至训练人们如何利用这些“富人”的情感和同情心攫取利益的同时,感觉自己做了一件好事。
去尼泊尔做义工之前要注意的事情
首先一定诚实面对自己:你有足够的资格么?你为什么要飞到世界的那一头去教书如果你逗不够格?为什么要自己掏钱购买这种“特权”?
那我去灾区建房子铲泥土总不用资格证书了吧?难道你想不到当地最不缺的就是劳动力么?
想帮孤儿院的孩子穿暖衣服?既然当地有裁缝和工厂做衣服,从地球的那一头带来一篮旧衣服是不是有点多余呢?
自费做志愿工作?为什么?你的钱去哪了?你确定是为了给你提供住宿和食物么?当地的普通宾馆的一间房大约5美元一晚。这些钱里有多少是为了孩子?去之前,自己算算帐。
那么钱去了哪里?
在各类组织的网站和宣传手册上,通常看到这样的字眼,“你所付的费用将用于尼泊尔当地。”听起来不错,直到你自己看清了这不过是狡猾的宣传罢了。比如:
基本上,为期四周的支教活动价格需要支付500美元。
1. 25% 用来支付住宿和食物
2. 25% 用作社区发展基金
3. 50% 是接机费,加德满都一日游等其他交通费用
500美元不算多。但是看看钱都去了哪里?学校收益了么?没有。
是谁负责住宿?什么是“社区发展”?你为什么要付给他们钱如果你想去加德满都逛一天?
实际上,这五百美元都进入了某个组织的盈利钱包。
进一步询问:当问到什么而是“社区发展费”的时候,这些组织通常闪烁其词,高谈阔论说这部分资金将会用作增强社区建设,或者什么“社区健康中心”。但是多年过去了,他们还是在用这套说辞,没有任何动静。
要是你问关于账目的的详细问题,估计你再也不会听到他们的消息了。
最后,连学校都不一定是正式注册的。
尼泊尔的志愿者活动到底哪里做错了?
尼泊尔严重依赖外国援助。国家政府不够强大,当地政府则追求利益最大化。许多非政府组织不得不将50%以上的佣金上交相关部门。
事实上,有人指出,60%到90%的资金都没有用到应该用的地方。
说到这,让我不禁想对之前说过的来尼泊尔做义工不过是为了自我感觉良好的人致以歉意。
但是我不会。因为这正需要帮助的人需要的是持久的帮助,而不是来自那些“只为了自我感觉良好”的人们。
尼泊尔的志愿者组织都不可信任么?
显然不是。但是许多组织都不够资格,浑水摸鱼。
有少数在国际范围具有公信力的组织,包括
虽然这些组织也有不足,但是至少它们在发展中国家的项目更加关注可持续发展。
尼泊尔的非政府组织需要国际化管理
非政府组织有许多腐败的地方,比如:
  • 虚构非政府组织
  • 为同一项目寻求不同的的资金和捐赠
  • 财务违规行为
  • 员工记录造假
  • 贿赂
非政府组织需要管理。问责制度,财政透明,资格认证,目标设定以及可持续发展,这些需要一套标准,但也要因地制宜。
你应该在尼泊尔做义工么?
当然要。但是事先一定要小心。把这篇文章再读一遍,仔细想想自己的动机,想想自己的资格。
也许你会发现,自己在家能做的比去当地还多。
联系那些具有知名度的正规组织,对比他们的要求和自己的能力。通常你会发现他们需要有专门技能的,能够长期坚持的义工。
最后对那些还将信将疑的人说一句,一定要询问账目,询问有效的证明文件。
最重要的是,诚实地回答这个问题:我到底是为了帮助别人还是帮助自己

p1691973650-3.jpg

So you want to help out in Nepal by Volunteering …

Want to volunteer in Nepal? Choose carefully and with knowledge
If tourism is Nepal’s number one profitable industry then the tightly bound world of volunteering and NGO’s (Non Government Organisations) must surely come a close second. They are of course closely linked to tourism and rather unfortunately often times merged into one.
Prepare yourself for some realities that many people don’t like to acknowledge. People who are trying to help others often don’t see the harm they are participating in when volunteering.

They are helping people – how could anyone speak badly about them?
They are among many duped by countless volunteer job listings that include:
Teach children in Nepal - Assist Orphans - Medical Internships - Monastery Volunteer Opportunities - Local Family Stays - Medical Volunteers in Nepal - Teaching Buddhist Monks - Practice Buddhism - Volunteer Programs in Nepal - Orphanage Work in Nepal - Teaching English in Nepal - Once in a Lifetime Opportunities as a Volunteer in Nepal - Help Nepal by Volunteering - the list goes on …
What people are often shocked to learn is that many of the above positions are pay positions. Meaning you will have to pay money to participate or volunteer in them.
Paying to volunteer. It’s a profitable industry that’s thriving in Nepal.
A little background into volunteering in Nepal
Back in the early days of The Longest Way Home I wrote a piece about NGO’s in Developing countries. Aside from some typos what I wrote then still stands today. Do give it a read.
Bottom line:
Nepal is a developing country that’s also a premier tourist destination which has led to a tinder box of trouble in attaining true sustainable development.
Cash stuck Nepal has many human rights issues, health issues, education issues, racial issues, sexual / domestic abuse issues and this list goes on. There is however no shortage of volunteers wanting to help out. And no shortage of people willing to cash in on these well-meaning people.
People are often paying thousands of USD dollars or Euros to “volunteer” in Nepal (and elsewhere). Tasks range from shoveling mud to housekeeping to teaching classes.
On the flip side of things there are also people with ulterior motives for wanting to volunteer overseas. College graduates looking to boost up their resumes for example. Mixed in with the adventure of Nepal it looks great. Shame they are often under qualified and only adding to the profitability of the many sham organisations in Nepal.
Before I offer up any solutions and if you are not convinced yet then do read just these three true life examples of volunteering in Nepal gone wrong.
Names and nationalities have been changed to protect people. Nonetheless the events certainly took place. I bore witness to them and many others.
Five years of rebuilding a Nepalese Orphanage that never was
p1806641595-2.jpg

Orphanages in Nepal are not always what they seem …

Mark only told me the facts when we hopped off the bus after an hour bumping along Kathmandu Valleys dirt roads. I’m not sure why he didn’t tell me when we were on the bus. I think he wasn’t sure if I would have jumped out early.
Now we stood on the side of the road waiting for the Nepalese man in charge of an orphanage Mark had been funding for the past five years. Mark paced nervously up and down. Though it could equally be anger. It was hard to tell considering what I’d just heard.
Like many Mark had first come to Nepal as a tourist. During his travels, like so many, he was moved by the poverty that so many people face in Nepal. Moreover the children in Nepal. So many displaced by war, tribal customs and socio-economic reasoning.
He offered to help at an orphanage. And returned the next year with clothes, school books and toys. It wasn’t enough. A plan was put in motion and Mark returned to France and fund-raised through his family, friends and employer to raise enough cash to build a new orphanage. He returned with the cash and land for the orphanage was bought.
At the end of year three Mark’s now twice yearly trips to Nepal started to see progress as building began on the orphanage. A few weeks after a return to France Mark received an email. There had been a landslide and the building had been destroyed. Fundraising had to start again in earnest.
Mark returned to see the progress of the orphanage once the rebuild had begun. New foundations had been put in place but it was taking time and more money was needed. Meanwhile more funds were continuously needed for the children’s temporary abode. Mark returned to France to begin a new fundraising campaign.
It was during monsoon season that Mark got another email informing him that a freak mudslide had knocked the new nearly completed building over.
Mark wasn’t stupid. He knew something wasn’t right. He’d met with an engineer and the builders many times on his trips to Nepal. It was only when the orphanage owner wasn’t there one day that a worker let something else slip. And that’s why we were there that day.
We visited the new orphanage site. The building had indeed literally slipped down a forested slope. It would need a complete rebuild for a third time. The true tragedy was revealed when we reached the children’s current accommodation. The home of the  man running the orphanage.
It was a slick operation that Mark had planned well. The owner was sent on an errand. Meanwhile Mark obtained proof from a safe of the children’s parenthood. Of the 16 children only 3 were technically orphans. All the others were relatives of this man.
Whatever about disappearing funds from collapsing buildings there was now proof that all that fundraising was going straight into a family’s bank account rather than to an “Orphanage”.
The Francophile who taught English
Marie, a French girl just out of college after completing her business degree, spent USD$7,000  for 6 weeks in Nepal teaching English to Nepalese children via an NGO in France. Her accommodation was a monastery which included local meals.
In other words she was living in a single room with a shared cold water shower eating local Dal Bhat twice a day. Keep in mind a basic private room in Kathmandu can cost as little as USD $5 per night. And meals from $2+.
There was no curriculum for the classes. The previous volunteer had left some books but they had “disappeared”. The French girl managed to buy some school books from Pilgrims in Thamel. They weren’t very good but were better than nothing.
Marie spent 4 hours a day teaching the alphabet to eight-year old’s who had no interest. There was no other supervision.
After complaining to the NGO about the standards she was told that she could leave early is she wished. But, she’d have to get her own plane ticket back. Marie already had a return ticket but the NGO refused to change the date for her.
To add insult to injury the Monastery was also accepting free volunteers separate to the NGO pay volunteers.
Rather than dwell on leaving Marie joined up with another “teacher” who was also appalled at the money they’d paid and what they had to work with. They threatened to call the papers back home. This was met with a lot of hostility. Not just from the NGO manager but also an Italian volunteer who had taken it upon themselves to try and help the NGO better “manage” their organisation.
p1698923786-2.jpg

A young monks future might be better if they had Nepalese teachers who stayed longer than 4 weeks …

The Italian had no background in education. Heart in the right place but clueless on lesson management or childcare.
It all ended with a very loud verbal exchange in public during a meeting between all parties. The flight money was refunded to Marie and the other volunteer. The organisation has offices in several locations around the world and is still running.
A monk that was fathering an orphanage
Claudia was a volunteer at a small orphanage run by a monk and a housekeeper. Her job was to help teach the children at a nursery level. It worked well the first few weeks but Claudia soon found herself helping the housekeeper around the house more than actually teaching the children directly.
A few more weeks passed and Claudia’s complaints were met with great understanding. The “real” problem was that they didn’t have any funds to hire more staff or even feed the children properly. Claudia began to enlist her friends help back home in fundraising for the orphanage. Everyone chipped in and a few months later they held a small party to celebrate.
The party was meant to be for the children but it seemed mainly adults had shown up. Friends of the monk and the housekeeper who didn’t speak English. Claudia had been learning Nepalese and did her best to converse with the guests. Her main conversation was asking why no one had brought any children to the party?
By chance one of the people Claudia met was the housekeepers sister who spoke only a little English. Claudia was delighted to meet her at last after hearing that the housekeepers relatives lived far away. It turned out this would be the downfall of the party.
The housekeeper’s sister didn’t live all that far away. She actually confessed to not liking her sister’s husband that much. Claudia never knew the housekeeper was married. Thinking she was helping Claudia suggested that the two sisters could meet up at the orphanage as she’d never seen her husband there.
The housekeepers sister looked confused and explained that the man was nearly always there. It turned out the husband she was referring to was indeed the monk.
It gets a bit sketchy after that with the monk claiming he wasn’t a full monk and that not all the children were his. Some were from distant relatives. Either-way, Claudia fled the scene heartbroken to know she had been duped.
Placing blame on specific NGO’s in Nepal
While I could name the above NGO’s, agencies and companies, including a lot more, I don’t want this article to be about individuals. That’s easy to do. What I want is to give people thinking of volunteering in Nepal a clearer understanding of what’s gone wrong with what, in essence, is a great thing – simply wanting to help someone.
Volunteering with a good heart is not the answer
I’ve never paid money to volunteer and never will. I’ve worked as both a paid volunteer and as paid member of staff for an international development organisation. Throughout the world I’ve seen volunteers, NGO’s and development agencies work to help people in need.
Unfortunately the majority of what I’ve seen in Nepal has been seriously lacking in standards.
Even in the most deprived of situations I’ve met volunteers who’ve paid to volunteer and think “they’ve done their bit” and it’s helped.
Sadly the reality is they’ve done their bit for themselves, got a feel good factor, a story and gone home not realizing anything else.
It’s very hard to get someone to understand that simply packing up clothes into a suitcase and flying to a needy community in a foreign country to hand them out can do more harm than good. It’s simply encouraging a community to always look for handouts rather than developing into something self-sufficient.
But try explaining that to a mother who fly’s halfway across the world to help “the poor Nepalese orphans”. Let alone try explaining that to someone who’s also spent time and money fundraising for the trip and indeed the orphanage. Let alone explaining that to someone who’s seen and spoken with the wonderful people running the organisation that’s helping the orphanage.
It’s a minefield of human emotion and human need.
Sadly in Nepal many good-hearted people are being taken in by random NGO’s with not so transparent accounting practices or morals.
Volunteer in Nepal and come away feeling you’ve done a great thing
How do you explain to people who’ve not only gone to all the trouble fundraising, flying out to a country and then staying several months helping out that they’ve been taken in?
Volunteers are often shocked at what they see on the ground in Nepal. Children in rags eating plain rice from metal bowls once a day. They hand out new clothes, help bathe the children and teach the local helpers about proper nutrition.
p1617235606-2.jpg

Bringing foreign school books in to Nepal is only as good as they last – how about printing Nepalese school books in Nepal?

The volunteers can’t help but get a feel good factor from all this – who can blame them?
This is before we even get to the college students looking for international experience for the betterment of their career outlooks by volunteering for “worthy” causes.
Believe me when I write that there are organisations here that are well skilled in tugging all the right emotional / guilt strings to get what they want from people – money. And then make you feel like you’ve done a great deed.
Things to keep in mind before volunteering in Nepal
If you are thinking about volunteering in Nepal what should you do to prevent doing more harm than good?
Firstly be honest with yourself: are you qualified to volunteer? Why are you flying around the world to teach English when you don’t have a qualification to do so? And why are you paying for this privilege?
You’ve no qualifications so you are going to Nepal to help build houses or shovel mud after a landslide? Did it occur to you that there’s no shortage of unqualified local cheap labor in Nepal who can do this too?
Want to help clothe kids at an orphanage? Bringing over crates of clothes from home seems a little excessive considering the vast number of local tailors and factories making clothes in Nepal.
Paying to volunteer? Why? Where is your money going? Are you sure it’s for housing and feeding you? A private room in a basic guesthouse is USD$5. What percentage is for the children? Do the math before going.
Where does all this pay to volunteer in Nepal money go?
It astounds me to read many brochures and websites offering pay to volunteer positions in Nepal. Many will advertise that “your money” will stay in Nepal and not a foreign country! Sounds good. Until you break down their own dodgy publicity.
Let’s breakdown a 4 week volunteer placement teaching English in Nepal that charges USD$500.
  • 25% of your money will go to your accommodation and food in a home-stay.
  • 25% goes to community development.
  • 50% goes to your airport pickup, a tour around Kathmandu and a lift to your placement.
At the outset the money is not much. But look at where it’s going. Is there any going to the school? No.
Who owns the homestay? What are the “community developments”? Why are you paying them for a one day tour of Kathmandu?
100% of this $500 can easily be siphoned off into someones business profits rather than for the “school”.
Probing into this a little further: Start to ask questions about what the community development money is being used for and you’ll probably get a spiel about “a community well” or  ”a health centre”.  Those are also the pretty standard replies that will have been said to many others for the past few years.
On the other hand ask for a notarized copy of the organisations accounts for the past year and you’ll probably never hear back from them again.
Supporters will claim how can a small NGO afford and accountant? I reply by saying not to pay for a “board of directors” expenses would be a good start.
Lastly is this a registered school? Or is it simply such a “private” school that it’s not registered on the national curriculum or examinations board?
What’s gone wrong with volunteering in Nepal
Nepal is heavily dependent on foreign aid. The national Government still can’t form a constitution and local authorities are running riot on plundering anything profitable. NGO’s applying for grants can offer up to 50% commissions on many projects.
All of the above nearly leads me to apologize for bursting peoples bubble on the feel good factor of volunteering in Nepal.
But I won’t. I’ve experienced enough to realize that bursting bubbles is sometimes the kick people need to instill a better longer lasting ideal.
Moreover it means that the people in need will be more likely to get the sustainable help they actually need rather than “feel good” help.
Are all voluntary organisations bad in Nepal?
No. But the vast majority are hideously unqualified to run as NGO’s. Both from a financial standpoint and from an educational/experience stand point. From for profit organisations, tax exempt companies to well-meaning but clueless people to outright fraudsters.
Volunteering in Nepal is a very profitable and money draining industry.
There are however a few internationally recognized organisations with strong reputations working in development throughout Nepal.
There are also some people trying to create some form of transparency within Aid organisations in Nepal.
Longstanding reputable organisations include:
While not perfect by any means the above organisations are held accountable in many regards. They are also committed to something I believe in when it comes to volunteering and aid in developing nations – Sustainable Development.
Don’t just go to a country to do a job. Go to a country and teach someone how to do it themselves.
NGO’s in Nepal need to be internationally regulated
There is no accountability mechanism for NGOs operating in Nepal. This is a serious international problem that is highlighted by U4′s reports on corruption within NGO’s.
Examples include:
  • The creation of fictitious NGO’s
  • Double-dipping, or seeking or accepting funds from more than one donor
  • Financial irregularities
  • Ghost employees, participants
  • Bribes
NGO’s need to be regulated. As much as I hate the idea of an international licensing system the situation in places like Nepal would surely benefit from it.
Accountability, transparent finances, qualified staffing, set goals and sustainability must all be adhered to at a set standard. That doesn’t mean forcing all NGO’s to live up to international doctrines. Every country is different. Even the regions with in it. But at the end of the day transparency can attest to many things.
Forget licensing fees. Just a simple set of transparent regulations that are not charged nor funded by the NGO’s but through an international grant from a body like the UNHCR would surely do.
p1753814268-2.jpg

Remember the first photograph? At the end of the day the only people who can help Nepal progress are the Nepalese themselves – sustainable development works!

Should you volunteer in Nepal?
Yes by all means. However my advice is to think carefully first. Reread everything above. Ask yourself about what can you offer and what are you qualified in that can help?
Maybe you will find you can help a lot more at home than out in the field? Lobbying the UN or a government ministry for NGO regulation for example.
Contact the big organisations I listed above and ask them about what they are doing and what they are looking for? You’ll find that they are generally looking for people with specific skills and qualifications for long-term placements.
Lastly for those that are still not convinced. Or heard it through the grapevine that a “certain” organisation is doing a great job and is looking for help. Ask for accounts. Ask for documentation that shows curriculum’s, sustainability and completed projects.
And, perhaps most importantly. Ask yourself this question very honestly: Are you volunteering to help someone or to help yourself?
The answer doesn’t have to be the former but being honest about it will be the first best step in helping someone else you’ll ever take.
This is an additional feature article about volunteering in Nepal
(Due to a high amount of “promotional” comments all links to “volunteer” org’s will be moderated with links removed)

发表于 2015-2-28 22:34:25 | 显示全部楼层
北京男孩曲洋和同伴在尼泊尔漂流后下河游泳,突遇大浪,同伴挣扎上岸,他却被水卷走,下落不明。家属抵尼发现,搜救队伍仅为几名漂流教练,当地警局缺乏救助装备,只得向两国使领馆告急。目前家属正寻求国内赴尼朋友或有漂流经验者提供帮助!
      现在需要1)1000米绳索,攀岩绳,最好每根60米以上;2)岩钉;3)大量充电宝;4)8字扣;5)睡袋和帐篷。直接送往【博卡拉老北京饭店】电话:曲超13426152689;009779803925734 请做好标记以便日后归还,感激不尽!
     曲洋家人现急寻博卡拉陆军长官和尼泊尔登珠峰组织登山协会联系电话。
      希望好心的人能够提供帮助。谢谢
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|文佑|小黑屋|国际志愿者网络(IVN)

GMT+8, 2024-3-29 05:23 , Processed in 0.028302 second(s), 12 queries , Gzip On, MemCache On.